25 February 2006

Lions and amoebas and malaria oh my

Hi all,
The first of my bad news this trip. The doctor says I have amoebic dysentery and malaria. But, not to worry I have medication and am already feeling better. I only had a small malaria count anyway, 3 out of 500 units (I forget what the blood test units are) so it really hasn't been noticeable other than about 3-4 days of feeling as tired as I did when I had mono back in college. Not sure about the dysentery...The doctor didn't prescribe anything for amoebas, rather he gave me an antibiotic (which perhaps goes with the malaria medication, that is what I've heard at least). But he did use the word amoebas, but then also said there were eggs in my stool and amoebas don't lay eggs.... So really I have no idea other than since I've been on the medication all my sickness symptoms have been improving so I'm content provided I don't start to feel sick again. I will of course follow up when I return to the states and make sure I am not still harboring little fugitive bugs/parasites/whatever. If I don't sound as worried as you think I should it is because 1) I'm not worried and 2)Malaria here is like the flu. Not that it isn't really bad and kills a lot of people, but if catch it in time and treat it, it is more like the flu, hamna shida (no worries). Now if you want to worry, worry about the 4 month old nephew of my host family who has malaria. He is getting treatment, but it is scary for the little kids and babies to get malaria. Okay I hope everyone's health is doing well :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewww... Parasites. I hope you feel better.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief girl!! glad to hear you are staying on top of it at least. When do you come home??
love ya!
Dianne

10:17 PM  
Blogger katie said...

didn't you get buggies when you were there during college? I hope you feel better- maybe you need to name the amobeas- like michelle named her kidney stones. I personally think pain and ass are good ones to start with. :)

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well at least it was not caused by a spider bite.

Mike B.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home